Yield: 4 servings
♥ 200 gr short grain organic brown rice
♥ 200 gr fresh green peas ( or frozen peas)plus 1 handful for decoration
♥ 1 medium onion plus a 1\4 for decoration
♥ 4 -5 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
♥ 1/4 tsp sea salt
♥ 1/4 tsp saffron
♥ a sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese or ( if you are vegan or dairy free), nutritional yeast flakes
♥ cayenne pepper
♥ 600 ml water and probably more
- Saute’ with olive oil the onion in a pot.
- When onion is gold add saffron.
- Add rice in the pot and let it get crispy for about 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt and let it cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the rice, stirring often, and adding 1 cup of water at a time (stirring until almost all the water has been absorbed before adding more – this is what produces the creamy texture) until the rice is al dente, about 30 – 4o minutes. If needed, add up to 1 cup extra water if rice is too thick.
- Add the green peas in the risotto and stir the rice in the pot.
- When all the water will be absorbed probably your risotto should be ready.
- Risotto should be ready when the rice is al dente but with a slightly chewy texture.
- Sprinkle all over Parmigiano cheese or, if you prefer, nutritional yeast flakes.
- Add cayenne pepper if you like…
- Decorate your risotto with some fresh raw green peas and some raw white chopped onion
Yumm!!! Buon appetito!!! 🙂
TIP: Don’t change type of rice, definitely organic short brown rice is perfect for risotto giving a nutty flavor as well. If your rice is not ready don’t forget to keep adding hot water and gently stirring.